Friday, July 07, 2006

Random musings

Sunday was a gorgeous day so, even though I was exhausted, I decided to explore the Marin Headlands. I didn't have enough time for a hike so I walked the beach and found a good spot to read for a while. I did pick up a map of all of the hiking trails and I will be heading back sometime soon. That jaunt inspired me to find a hike for Monday. I headed to the Santa Cruz Mountains and the Purisima Open Space Preserve. I picked up the trail map, got myself oriented, and started down the trail. I was really in my head during the first mile and didn't really notice that I had been hiking downhill until it didn't make sense to turn around. That is when I took a closer look at the topo map. I soon discovered that I would be losing 1500' of elevation, which meant that I would have to gain it to get back to my car. Of course, I chose the gradual slope with plenty of switchbacks for the downhill and the trail that went straight up with no tree cover to speak of for the hike back. Overall I did 6.5 miles and sweated my ass off! I planned on showering and crashing when I got home, but instead met up with some friends in the Mission.

I am not trendy! Not that I ever really thought I was, but this fact was hammered home on Monday night. Not only am I not trendy, I don't want to be, and really, I would like to shy away from trendy spots and people whenever possible. This is probably going to pose a large problem living in a city like SF where everyone has their eye out for the next big thing in food, drinks, nightlife, etc... I people watched and most of the night I rode the fine line between fascinated and disgusted. I guy sat down at our table and proceeded to give us his "bar name" and some made up story about his friend's birthday. This is why the bar scene will never work for me. Why can't people just be honest about themselves.

The 4th of July is one of those holidays that always seems like it should be rockin' and usually falls flat, kind of like New Year's Eve. I watched World Cup Soccer and then went to a BBQ where I knew 2 people. I watched the fireworks on TV and went to bed early. It was a thoroughly enjoyable day! This week I'm back at work for three short days before taking another 2 weeks off.

Why is it that I always pick the most inopportune times to develop a rockstar lifestyle? Seriously, I have to run 23 miles on Sunday so you would think that I would be resting up and taking care of myself. Instead I met up with other college counselors for a happy hour after work and then headed to a karaoke bar to meet other friends. There were some great renditions from wannabe Dixie Chicks, Bon Jovi, Journey, Boyz 2 Men, etc... and some not so great attempts at quite a few others. We closed the place down and I got a total of 2 hours of sleep last night. My running group is meeting at a bar this afternoon since we don't have to run until Sunday morning. Tonight definitely has to be an early one for me!

After Sunday's long run I will shove the cats into their carrier, hop into my new car, and scoot on up to Oregon. My mom's side of the family is gathering in Depoe Bay for 8 days, something we haven't done in 5 1/2 years. I'm hoping to get lots of quality family time as well as pick up surfing. So, I may or may not be updating my blog in the next two weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home