Sunday, October 15, 2006

3 week hiatus

Wow, it has been three weeks since I took a long run. This morning I met up with three ladies from my running group and we did six miles together. We ran through the park and caught up with each other. At the end of 6 miles I was still feeling pretty good. My 1/2 marathon is coming up in three weeks and I'm feeling behind in my training. So, I decided to tack on a couple more miles for good measure. I figured 8 miles this weekend put me in a good place to move up. Now I if I do 11 miles next weekend and 7-8 the following one I should be closer to ready than I am now.

The past three weeks have been full ones. My volleyball team has had several games, and we lost all of them. The girls are getting better, but are frustrated with losing. I have seen a visible improvement since the beginning of the season, but we still have a long way to go. They are fine in practice and then they freeze up when we play a game. We only have 2 more weeks of practice and 2 games before the end of the end of the season. I'm looking forward to the end - mostly just to have a little more free time. I have enjoyed coaching for the most part. It has been hard and frustrating but it has also been a lot of fun. 12 year old girls are a handful but they also make me laugh.

I spent a week away from work visiting some colleges and attending a conference. I visited the Naval Academy, Johns Hopkins, and Bucknell. Talk about three different schools. The Naval Academy was fascinating. I felt like I was doing an anthropological study of a side of America unfamiliar to me the whole time I was there. The annual NACAC conference was in Pittsburgh, PA this year. I have learned to stop complaining about the sessions that are offered because I unless I am willing to step up to the plate and offer one myself I am being hypocritical. I find that the conversations I have outside of the session rooms and at the social events more meaningful. The networking is key, especially now that I'm the director. I know that I will go to this conference every year, I just need to make the most of it every time I go. Next year the conference is in Austin - I'm definitely looking forward to that.

This past week I wrote 10 letters in 4 days which took its toll on me. I was up late each night and in to work by 6am every day. I was running on about 5-6 hours of sleep a night, which may be normal for some people but I don't function well without 8. I got them all done, but it wasn't pretty. I have about 20 to write in two weeks so I need to get serious about them. So, on that note I'm going to take myself off to the shower and get to down to business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home